Friday, August 21, 2015

Networking: #TenThingsNotToSayToAWriter

The hashtag #TenThingsNotToSayToAWriter has been active on Twitter for the last couple of weeks, as writers, agents, editors, bloggers, freelancers, poets, and others in the industry chime in with their contributions.

Here are mine.

10. Writing isn't a real job.

9. Did you go to school for that?

8. Are you done [writing whatever you're working on] yet?

7. Writing isn't that hard. I could do it, if I had time.

6. Will you read my _______________ (short story, poem, novella, novel, nonfiction book, screenplay) and tell me what you think?

5. I had a great idea for a story, but I don't have time to write it. If I give you the idea, will you write the story and credit me?

4. Why would you decide to make a career out of your high school English class?

3. Are you published yet?

2. Since you're home all day anyway, would you mind ______________ (picking up my mail, watering my flowers, walking my dog, etc.) ...?

1. Have I read anything you've written?

# # #


Can anybody else relate? What things drive you nuts to hear about your writing? What witty comebacks have you devised to help you survive such interactions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not hesitate to leave a comment or a question. Include links to your blog, website, Twitter, and other social media so I can link back!