Thursday, August 6, 2015

Book Review: "Writing About Villains" (Rayne Hall)

Do you write fiction? Need a villain in your novel or short story?

You may need one and not know it. Even genres that seem less likely, from romance and New Adult to coming-of-age and young adult, usually need a villain, or at least a character with similarly antagonistic qualities.


Where do you go to learn how to create a believable villain?




If you're writing fiction in any genre that requires a villain character, I can't encourage you enough to obtain a copy of expert author Rayne Hall's Writing About Villains, nonfiction writing craft from her Writer's Craft series.

Hall leaves nothing unremarked upon in her guide, which is short, to-the-point, and eminently readable, complete with examples and writing prompts with which to work the information into your story as organically and convincingly as possible. She covers topics like archetypes and stereotypes, cliches to avoid, how to round out a villainous character to make him or her truly three-dimensional, and much more.


I was delighted at how much I benefited from reading through the work, and I fully intend to go back through it at a more leisurely pace and apply its principles to my own writing. Whatever it will take for me to convince you to pick up a copy of Writing About Villains, consider it done.



# # #

Author: Rayne Hall
Title: Writing About Villains
ASIN: B00BWYEGX0
Purchase here: http://amzn.to/1SgwLqq

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this work from the author in exchange for an honest, though not necessarily positive, review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not hesitate to leave a comment or a question. Include links to your blog, website, Twitter, and other social media so I can link back!