Thursday, February 26, 2015

Book Review: "A Woman's Pleasure" (J. F. Kelly)

Looking for something … different to read?

Let me introduce (though not without a great deal of reticence) A Woman’s Pleasure by J. F. Kelly.

The front matter indicates that the book is a work of fiction—surprising, since each chapter is essentially an interview with someone (all men).

Those interviewed provide answers (presumably presented verbatim in the book) about their background, upbringing, body type and appearance, first sexual encounter, sexual fantasies, preferences, best sexual experiences, and favorite positions, among other intimate and unexpected subjects.

The work, as a whole, appears designed to celebrate a woman’s sexuality (believe it or not) … or, at the least, to highlight a sampling of those whose stated foremost desire is to ensure that, in a sexual encounter, the woman feels the most cherished, like the highest priority and the center of greatest attention and focus. While the mission is laudable in theory, the work, in practice, leaves somewhat to be desired.



For instance, there are a distracting number of typos throughout the work, which tended to yank my focus out of the immediate story (no matter how steamy the scene being recounted).

As well, the format of the copy I read is disorganized—sentences end in mid-air, without actually ending at all, and then pick up again four or eight pages later in the middle of a different paragraph; the answer to one of the interviewer’s questions is partial, and then interrupted by the answer to another question that has yet to be asked.

Finally, I was less than impressed by the interviewer’s apparent fascination (even if fictitious) with the physical traits of each man that he believed women found attractive. In each answer were included unbelievable (not in a good way) references to “my wide chest” and “my well-developed pecs” and “my naked chest and big arms” and my fit body.” I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at the clich├ęs and clear evidence of “trying too hard.”

I was also unimpressed with the answers to the interviewer’s question about what sexy things the man says to ignite a woman’s interest. The respondents routinely gave answers like “Go ahead, and put your mouth on my manhood—taste me” and “You like my body? Go ahead and feel it all over.” If these are what a man says to interest a woman … I found the comments off-putting in a book that (I thought) focused on women and their pleasure, not on men and their self-centeredness.

I could not, in good conscience, recommend this work for interested readers.

# # #

Author: J. F. Kelly
Title: A Woman’s Pleasure
ASIN: B00MHE110U
Purchase here: http://amzn.to/1AoCvE1


Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this work from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest, though not necessarily positive, review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not hesitate to leave a comment or a question. Include links to your blog, website, Twitter, and other social media so I can link back!