Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Competition, a Secret, and a Free Book

I was privileged to learn that my short story, "Poetry by Keats," was awarded first place in the Writer's Digest Short Short Story Competition (find out more here about the competition).

Marianne is the story protagonist, a young woman trapped in a long-term relationship with Nick, who's controlling and possibly abusive. Marianne meets Jarrett, who embodies a different side of masculinity (quiet, reserved, creative). She finds herself torn between the familiarity of what she has always known, despite its downsides, and the "what could be," underscored by the fear of change and the unknown.

You can read the story in its entirety here, on the Writer's Digest website.

Also available, here, is an extended Q&A interview with me about my writing and the story.

I'm thankful to the Writer's Digest editors for their decision in awarding my story this year with such a renowned honor.

And now for the secret.

When I found out that my story had won, I dug it out of my files because I couldn't remember which story I had submitted. I reread it . . . and found a typo.

Yes, there's a typo in the award-winning story, despite my being an editor and proofreader, which just proves that even editors and proofreaders are human.

If you find the typo in the story and comment about it on this post before Wednesday, June 11, at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time), I'll pick two people who comment correctly, at random, and mail each of them one copy of the 14th Annual Writer's Digest Short Short Story Competition Collection.

Please note that people to whom I have already spoken about the typo (family and friends, specifically) will not be awarded.

Also note that this typo has nothing to do with punctuation, so if you disagree with where I put a comma or an em-dash, that's not what I'm after.

For all people commenting, leave links to your website, blog, and/or Twitter feed, and I'll return the favor and link back to you.

Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not hesitate to leave a comment or a question. Include links to your blog, website, Twitter, and other social media so I can link back!