Sunday, March 2, 2014

Marvel's "The Avengers" (Part II)

I tend to attach myself to a movie through the characters first. Setting is great, costumes are wonderful, action sequences are fantastically choreographed and all that, but I connect first with characters. What are they thinking? Why do they do what they do? What would I do in their situation?

I really envy, and enjoy, the characters in Marvel's The Avengers.

> Clint Barton, a.k.a. Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner). Sort of the modernized Gothic or Byronic hero: brooding expression, deadpan humor, tortured past and hidden secrets, evidence of regrets he wishes he could undo. Wields a wicked bow and arrows, and has insane reflexes.

Writers out there: just try to reproduce on a page, black lettering on white paper, Hawkeye's incredible reflexes, action moves, and skill with a bow and arrows. Somehow, it falls flat. Drives me crazy.

> Natasha Romanoff, the Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson). Not my favorite character, but I appreciate that the writers gave her several dimensions. Not only a deadly weapon all by herself but also someone with regrets and a devastating past that dogs her like her shadow.

> Dr. Bruce Banner, the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo). Nothing if not multidimensional in his angst. Proverbial Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde combination, hating the Hulk side of himself but dependent on that side to survive and do what needs done. Unable to make peace with who he's become.

> Thor (Chris Hemsworth). Because of his own movies, I know what it costs him to face down his own brother, no matter how much Loki might dispute that relationship. Thor keeps trying to be Loki's keeper, believing that there might be hope for Loki.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not hesitate to leave a comment or a question. Include links to your blog, website, Twitter, and other social media so I can link back!